How often do you think about your school’s brand?
If you’re like most administrators, the answer is…not all that often. We get that. With student wellbeing, test scores, parental outreach, teacher support, building development, and a million other items on your list, it’s easy to treat branding as a set-it-and-forget-it kind of deal.
But just like your students, educational goals, and best practices evolve over time, so do your branding needs.
Don’t feel overwhelmed. Look at this refresh or rebrand as the opportunity to tell your school’s story in a new and exciting way. With the right approach, you’ll develop a clear and cohesive message that brings your school community together.
Refresh vs. Rebrand: How They Differ
Before you click erase on all your branding elements, hit pause for a second. You need to understand the difference between a refresh and a rebrand. Your school brand encompasses all of the visual, psychological, and emotional associations people have with your school, and you may not need to start from scratch to see improvement.
|Brand Refresh||Complete Rebrand|
|Keeps the core of your branding but updates it. Requires a simple review of your branding elements.Utilizes minor changes.Heavily focuses on visual modifications.Some revisions to messaging.Smaller investment.Quicker turnaround.||Changes all elements of your branding, from scratch.Centers on in-depth analysis of all branding elements.Is a complete overhaul.Changes all elements of a branding strategy.Significant messaging revisions.Large investment.Time intensive.|
Most schools can benefit from a brand refresh. Typically, you only need a whole rebrand when your educational model radically shifts or there is a significant change in demographics. That’s good news for the average administrator looking to keep their school brand relevant and effective.
Signs Your School Brand Needs a Revamp
Before you jump into things headfirst, you need to make sure this is something that could actually benefit your school. So, what are some signs your school’s branding could benefit from an update? Keep an eye out for the following.
- It’s been close to a decade since you last made updates.
- When you look at your branding elements, they feel dated.
- There is a clear need for competitive differentiation.
- You feel like the public has misperceptions of your school.
- You’ve recently changed your educational model.
- People struggle to accurately describe your school culture.
- Your school changed feeder schools or merged with another.
- You have a handful of logos and nicknames for your school.
- There is too much overlap between academic and athletic brands.
- Your branding elements don’t look as good online as they do in person.
Elements to Include in Your School Brand Refresh or Rebrand
Do two or more of the above describe your branding? Then it’s probably time to rework and revisit elements or dive into a complete rebrand. But what all does this encompass? That will vary between schools. Below are common elements that play into a school’s image.
- Mission and vision
- Core values
- Motto or slogan
- Website and social media pages
- Newsletters and email campaigns/communication
- Letterheads and brochures
- Student and teacher planners
- Other forms of stationery
- Staff email signatures
- Instructional model and school resource posters
- Flags and banners
Let The School Planner Company Help With Your Revamp
You want your school brand to communicate your values, passion for education, and focus on students. The School Planner company is here to help. We offer customized student and teacher planners that are tailored to the needs of your school, showcasing your branding elements and supporting consistent messaging. To get started, request your sample pack today.